TAO 2011 World Tour
2011 brings TAO Dance Theater to five countries across three continents, including the Company Premiere in the USA and the UK, as well as a world premiere of "2", a co-commission by the Singapore Arts Festival, NorrlandsOperan, and Dansmakers Amsterdam.
From 2009-2016, Ping Pong developed and produced all of TAO's international touring and projects, including all tour and production management, as well as for numerous domestic projects and performances. Ping Pong secured all commissioning support from China and abroad for the co-commissioned works 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.
Tao Ye is emerging rapidly as a force to be reckoned with, as well as the most exciting name in modern dance.
played havoc with preconceived notions of dance.
About the Artist
About Tao Ye
Artistic Director Tao Ye Tao Ye is a graduate of the Chongqing Dance School in Chongqing, China. After dancing with the Shanghai Army Song & Dance Ensemble, he joined Shanghai Jin Xing Dance Theater, and later moved to Beijing to join the Beijing Modern Dance Company (BMDC).
In March 2008, at only 22 years old, he founded TAO Dance Theater. Main works include: Weight x 3; 2; 4; 5; 6; 7; 8. In 2011 he was invited to co-star in the film Blue Sky Bones by cinematographer Christopher Doyle (Du Kefeng) and directed by rock legend Cui Jian. In 2012 leading Asian style magazine Men's UNO awarded Tao Ye the 2012 Elegance Award, recognizing leaders in China’s culture and entertainment field. In 2013, The Beijing News awarded him the 2013 Innovator Award for Dance, and the 2015 Emerging Artist Award. In 2013 The Beijing News awarded him the 2013 Innovator Award for Dance. He is a 2012-14 Sadler’s Wells "New Wave Associates" artist.
2011 Tour Schedule
- May 13, 2011: "2" work-in-progress showcase and Company's Swedish Premiere at M.A.D.E. Festival, NorrlandsOperan, Umea, Sweden
- June 3 & 4, 2011: "2" World Premiere at the Singapore Arts Festival
- June 20-22, 2011: US Premiere at the American Dance Festival plus six-week artist residency
- November 3 & 4, 2011: NYC premiere in "Fall for Dance" Festival at New York City Center
- November 8 & 9, 2011: European premiere of "2" at Theater Bellevue, Amsterdam with Dansmakers Amsterdam
- November 11, 2011: UK Premiere at DanceXchange, Birmingham
- November 15 &16, 2011: Sadler's Wells Lilian Baylis Studio